Men Who Made San Francisco: Sylvain Schnaittacher

Sylvain Schnaittacher, architect by profession, is a native of San Francisco, and was born November 30, 1874. He graduated from Boys High School and attended the Mark Hopkins Institute of Art, after which he received five years' office training, from 1891 to 1896, in the office of the late A. Page Brown.

After the untimely death of Mr. Brown, he spent some time studying abroad, returning to San Francisco in 1901, since when he has been in the constant practice of his profession. He was made an Associate of the American Institute of Architects in 1905 and the year following was elected Secretary of the San Francisco Chapter, American Institute of Architects, which office he has held since. Recently he was appointed by Former Governor Gillett to fill a vacancy on the State Board of Architecture.

Mr. Schnaittacher was the architect of many prominent buildings in the reconstruction of San Francisco, notably the Central Realty Building, a building for E. W. Hopkins, Post and Powell streets [the Argonaut Club], and the Prager Department Store building, Market and Jones streets.

Mr. Schnaittacher is a member of the Argonaut, Automobile and Olympic Clubs. In 1908 he was married to Miss Cecelia Shirek of this city. They have one child, a boy.